Claybird Ceramics are recognizable for their distinct organic quirks and perfectly imperfect personality. All the pieces are designed and handmade by founder / creator Yon Kavvas, a process that requires patience and perseverance, a true labour of love.
We catch up with Yon in her Takapuna based studio to talk life, design and style.
Ceramic artist, business owner, mother of three, travel enthusiast and foodie!
Sounds like a bit of juggling, how do you keep all the balls in the air? Oh man, it can be so ridiculously busy, especially with 3 school age kids. I have to be very organised with my planning otherwise the wheels fall off. This has happened a few times, and we do learn from these mistakes very quickly!
What key pieces of advice (creative or business wise) were you given at the start of your career? Have a business plan - keep updating it when you meet goals, add to it as you go. Keep your ideas to yourself. Get an accountant.
Thank you for sharing your studio with us!! So… this is where the magic happens? Yes the magic happens here. Also mess. Lots of mess. I cleaned the studio before you arrived! ha ha!!
Can you talk us through the design and making process? I have to say I get inspired by the places I visit. Sometimes I will notice something about a place and start drawing. Drawings turn into doodles which turn into more elaborate doodles. Once I have a good direction I will start to break it down and simplify it again. (and again and again) It does take time to get to a place where I’m happy. Then I’ll start to paint the designs on greenware (which is raw/dry clay) and fire the ones I am happy with. Ceramics is a labour of love - literally.
Each individual piece gets handled up to 15 times before it is finished and ready for sale.
How do you manage custom work on top of your existing production? I have no idea how?!! But I work super hard to meet deadlines for retail orders and work in custom work around these.
Perks of the job? I always have ceramics on hand for entertaining and an endless supply of gifts. Friends seem to find that rather good too for their own shopping priorities and last minute gifts.
Where can our readers find your work? At some cool retailers across NZ, markets or online
Favourite way to unwind? Popcorn and beer
NZ brands you love and love to wear: Twenty Seven Names
How would you describe your personal style: free and easy, relaxed with a pop of cool
What do you look for in a handbag? I love to wear one across my body, and one that not too many things can get stuffed into it, otherwise it becomes a Mary Poppins bottomless bag!
Do you change them out per-occasion or are you an all-in-one kind of girl: Yes - love to change depending on my mood or occasion.
What current Saben style are you thrashing: I have a fav Saben clutch which is my go to for going out. Simple, elegant, easy.
Which one are you lusting after: Ooooh so many! The Gita Croc really gets me going tho…
We love the Baby Frankie with perforated detail! What drew you to this style? I’m a texture girl so anything that has a bit of texture or even layers of it is what I really love.
ya cawfee: flat white or long black - flat white
ya cheese: blue or brie - blue
ya cocktail: mojito or dark & stormy - mojito
ya bag: carry-all or cross-body - cross body
ya boy: brains or brawn - brains
Mark your diary and set your alarms, the infamous workroom sale is back!
SECONDS | SAMPLES | END OF SEASON
7.30AM - 4PM | THREE DAYS ONLY
Friday 1 December
Saturday 2 December
Sunday 3 December
Hosted by The Tannery Cafe in New Lynn, 44B Portage Rd
NZ Blogger Ash Owens is styled in Amber Whitecliffe, shoes by Reb Footwear, headpieces from Lottie and Lola paired with styles from Saben to get you race day ready!
Immerse yourself in holiday-style living from the comfort of your own home with a fantastic summer prize pack valued at $NZD2095
This fabulous prize includes an outdoor bean bag ottoman from Lujo, a Bella Blue tote from Saben, a pair of Céline sunglasses from Sisters & Co, a Roundie towel from The Beach People, a $250 voucher from Chaos & Harmony and a Segment Tray from Citta.
- Head to the Lujo Instagram giveaway post
- Follow us and the Lujo prize partners listed in the Instagram post
- Tag 3 friends you’d invite on your Summer Staycation in the comments section and you’re in the draw to win. (3 tags per comment = one entry)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or associated with Instagram.
- Competition is worldwide and ends at 11 pm on 15 December 2017 NZST.
- Winner will be announced on 18th December on Instagram
- By entering the competition or promotion each entrant will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions and to have agreed to be bound by them.
- To enter this competition the entrants must follow the official Instagram accounts of Lujo and our four prize partners, comment on the Lujo post and tag three friends (during the promotional period)
- One winner will be drawn on 18 December 2017 to receive the items listed above, worth approximately $NZD2095
- Bean filling will be provided for the Lujo ottoman for the prize winner if they live in New Zealand, Australia or USA. If the prize winner lives elsewhere, they will need to source bean filling independently
- Competition entry is open to all countries. Import duty and taxes (if applicable) will be payable by winner if outside of US, Australia or New Zealand
- Winners will be notified via Instagram and will have 30 days following notification to claim their prize
- Employees of Lujo and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- If the prize is not claimed within 30 days the winner will forfeit the prize with no right of compensation
- By entering the competition winners agree to their names being published for publicity purposes
- The prize is not transferable or exchangeable, and cannot be redeemed for cash.
- The decision of judges in relation to any aspect of the competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Under the Privacy Act 1993, all individuals have the right to access and correct their personal information by contacting Lujo in writing to email@example.com